Friday, October 21, 2011

Halloween Candy

It's that time again. I have to go and get huge sacks of candy to hand out to kids in Monster High and Clone Wars costumes.

One year my husband handed out FULL SIZE candy bars. It was as though we had Johnny Depp, dressed as a pirate, standing at the door. Kids told other kids, and soon we had a mob scene.

"Here, kids, have a treat, and don't forget to pick up the litter afterwards."
I can't blame them, though. I still remember the feeling I got when a parent popped a full sized Hershey bar into my bag.


Then there's the bad Halloween candy. I'm talking to you, peanut "blossoms," Dots, boxes of raisins, pennies...
Not a fan.
Again: Full sized Hershey's Bar!

When I was a kid (a LONG time ago) I used to get candy at Halloween that never appeared at any other time during the year. I'm talking wax lips and strips of sugar dots you gnawed off paper and rock candy. That was good stuff.
What do you DO with these things?

Those were the years before the warnings against homemade treats came out. Home made popcorn balls, fudge, and caramel apples... they just don't make them like that any more...

...but there is still that full size Hersey bar.

3 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

Yeah, when I was a kid, I think I could count the full-sized candy bars on one hand. Just didn't happen. Maybe it was because of my neighborhood... people weren't poor, but it wasn't the rich neighborhood, either. My kids have always gotten 3 or 4--not a ton, but a few.

I wish they still had stuff that stuck to the season. I love candy corn, but the Easter version makes me hostile. I tend to like most candy, but licorice was the one I couldn't deal with, and dots are almost that.

(you're not older than me, are you? Maybe I just had a more paranoid mom--couldn't eat anything that wasn't packaged unless we knew the person it came from)

Johanna Garth said...

You rock to hand out the full size candy bars. There's a house in our neighborhood that hands out packages of top ramen every year...strange but the kids love it. I guess it's a novelty thing.

Alison DeLuca said...

Top ramen, love it! My kid got a sleeve of crackers last year. You'd have thought they were bullion. Forget the candy: random groceries RULE!