Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter and the Deleted Scenes

When my daughter and I watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1 (and one of just might have worn Gryffindor robes and brought a Pygmy Puff and Ginny Weasely's wand to the cinema) we thoroughly enjoyed it. However, there were some scenes from the book I missed in the movie.


Ginny's Pygmy Puff




My favorite, and one that seemed to reflect the second quote in the front of the book, was set in the Lovegood home. When Harry, Hermione, and Ron went upstairs to Luna's room, they saw a mural of the three of them and Luna as well as Ginny and Neville. The six figures in the mural were interconnected with a gold chain which, about closer inspection, proved to be made of the word "friends," written over and over again.






I know it's not terribly exciting, but the theme of friendship was so important during the books that I wish the painting had made it to the big screen. They could have cut out the scene of Harry and Hermione dancing in the tent, IMO, although I did like that song they danced to.


Of all the characters in the book, Ron got the most shortchanged. Where was the whole story line about the Keeper in Quidditch? It got shoved in as a reason for Lavender to jump him in the Half-Blood Prince, but where were the Weasely is King buttons?








Speaking of that, how are Ron and Hermione going to hook up without the whole SPEW plot? It got cut from the films (and rightfully so - it was a bit silly) but it was the whole reason that - oh, they'll have to come up with something good.


(All right, I'll admit here and now that I'm a bit obsessed with Ron. OK? OK.)


Finally, there was a scene from the DH 1 movie that was filmed, but deleted. It's a piece between Ron (shocker) and Hermione, and I think it's too good to miss:






How about you? What scenes from the books do you wish had made it to the movies?

5 comments:

Connie J Jasperson said...

Thanks for posting that clip! I loved it! I don't know when i will get to see the movie but I hope they didn't cut Mrs. Weasley's battle when (insert spoiler here) because I would think that she would be absolutely deadly!

Gary Hoover said...

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I remember something with the gillie(sp?) weed in the Goblet of fire that fit into the plot a lot more in the book but changed in the movie and there were a few other things like that. I've always felt that most of the films should have been split in two but then released within a few weeks of each other. That would have been an interesting experiment.

There are parts that I think were right to be cut. The story that Hagrid told about his trip to see the giants, for example. It just seemed drawn out in the book, not all that interesting and it didn't relate to the broader story.

Johanna said...

ACK! Are Pygmy Puffs from Harry Potter? How could I have not known that!! Savannah has been impersonating a Pygmy Puff and pretending to study Pygmy Puffology all summer. So much is explained!! Light bulb moment :)

LW said...

Thanks for the Harry Potter post! I'm psyching up to watch the new movie. Long-suffering husband is resignedly awaiting my announcement of chosen show date and time. :) Nice to be thinking about it in the meantime!

Alison DeLuca said...

Pygmy puffology - love it!

I promised a friend I'd wait to go with her and her son on 7/30. Trying not to read the reviews..... can't WAIT!