Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Not Feeling It

I'm reading three books at the moment, and two of them are very popular trade paperbacks. One is coming out as a film any day now, and I'd be very surprised if the other trad-pub doesn't eventually make its way to the screen.
Painting by Mary Cassatt

The thing is, I'm not "feeling" either book. One is just so far out there that I'm losing control of the story - there are so many characters that the writers seemed to have lost control themselves. The setting is great, the dialogue is authentic, but what the heck is going on? And do I even care?

As for the other, the writing is lovely. Beautiful scenes are described in breathtaking detail. And therein lies the problem - the author seems to be so transfixed by gorgeous scenes that she has forgotten to advance the plot.

The third book is an Indie read, and it is by far the best of the three. The Sable City has dependable relationships, solid characterization, and a plot that, while far-reaching, is firmly reined in so I can follow all the threads of what is happening to a cast that, while large, is centered on three MC's.

Last night, while pounding away at one of the traditionally published books described above, I gave up in disgust and returned, with a sigh of relief, to The Sable City. I'll finish the other two and write fair reviews, mentioning the plusses and minuses in greater detail. 

However, I am not feeling the books that are carried in every Barnes and Noble store on my night stand. I am, however, greatly enjoying the Indie Sable city which, unbelievably, is free on Amazon. FREE.

And there you have it.

3 comments:

Johanna Garth said...

Thanks for the heads up on Sable City. But you know I'm curious about what the other two books that didn't suck you in were!

Unknown said...

The worst feeling ever is reading a book you hate! (Okay--not the "worst" but you know what I mean...)
~Just Jill

Alison DeLuca said...

Oh, I'll be posting reviews of the two trad books soon! And, yes - reading a not-very-good-book is the pits.

I don't want to make it seem that I classify all books as good or bad depending on publication method, but I did find it pretty ironic.