Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Art of Meditation



After I read Eat, Pray, Love I thought, Right. It's time for  me to get down to business with this meditation stuff. I actually attempted to sit in a chair and turn my mind off. Here's what happens when I attempt it:

"Oh, ok, must  think of nothing now. Nothing, nothing, nothing. Of course, thinking the word  Nothing is not Nothing. Clear mind. OK. Wonder what I'll serve for dinner? Oh, shoot; i forgot  to wash my daughter's uniform!"

*Pause as I race to do laundry*

Half an hour later, back in chair. "NOW I'm ready. Bring on the thoughtlessness! Shutting down brain. That episode of American Horror Story was good, wasn't it? The ending was a bit disappointing, but I'll be interested to see how they pick up next season..."

Or, if I do succeed in complete brain shut off, here's  what happens: Zzzzzzzzz.

There are people out there who can meditate. I've seen them do it. When I was in the Unitarian Fellowship, one teacher hooked us up to a bio feedback machine as we attempted meditation. My friend got hooked up, and the machine gave a few beeps, and then: silence. Blam. Meditative state achieved.

When they slapped those wires on me, the machine was all, "Beep! Beepity Beep BEEEEEEP!!!!" It sounded like rush hour on the CBE.

I've found that I achieve a out of body state, though, when I write. It doesn't happen every day. Sometimes  I have to force the words to come out. But there are times when the scene is going really well, and I just, well, disappear. I'm in the world with my characters. I dimly hear the clicks of my fingers on my keys, as I type as quickly as I can to get it all down.

That's my meditative state.

I read a few days ago that writers, despite low incomes, are some of the happiest people around. I don't know if that is true. I do know that when I'm in that flow, it's a deeply satisfying experience. And when I'm not writing, I really look forward to getting back to my alternate world.

4 comments:

Krista McLaughlin said...

I like that... writer's are poor, but they are happy. :)

Carlie Cullen said...

Oh, my stars! I laughed so hard when I read this - I could have written it! I've tried meditation before and with the exact same sort of results as you. I started thinking about dinner, shopping, writing, my daughter . . . ad infinitum.

When I'm writing, my Muse is in residence and the words are flowing well, I completely block out the outside world and achieve a form of meditative state, I guess. I forget to eat, drink, sleep . . . thank goodness my daughter is usually around to bring me back to planet earth!

Hey, are you sure we're not related? lol :o)

Alison DeLuca said...

Isn't it the truth? We are so lucky to have this gift,to be able to jump to an alternate reality.

Johanna Garth said...

I can't agree with you enough. Meditation is like a torture chamber but writing is such an ahhh, experience. Love the Harriet the Spy pic!