Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I'm Twelve

My child is far more mature than I am:

ParaNorman is on Netflix and I'm uber excited to watch it, but she's all, "Nah, let's check out Top Model."

I want to get cute tutu skirts to twirl in, but she's checking out the bootie shorts section.

She just asked when she can get her first phone. Hello - what happened to walkie talkies? Tin cans and string?

Also, she has decided that at fourteen she's gonna "get herself a boyfriend." Mama expired upon hearing that news; send chocolate in lieu of flowers.

I begged her to watch the newest episode of Gravity Falls because I wanted to find out what was going to happen.

Also, Good Luck Charlie is my favorite show on TV. I can't pass up a sitcom with the phrase "Has anyone seen my left shoe?" in the theme song. "There it is, up on the roof!"


There were rumblings of getting rid of the Barbies for a while, but that seems to have blown over. Whew! Dodged a bullet there! However, the not-so-good news is the Barbies are re-enacting Top Model.

All-day marathon of Avatar, the Last Airbender? I'm so in, with iced coffee and smores. But no.



I do see some hopeful signs:

When I offer to give helicopter rides - the kind where you pick up a kid with one arm, one leg, and spin them like mad - she still goes for it.
image courtesy of lindalu.typepad.com

She and her friends still enjoy making mud.

Stuffed animals are the most important thing in the entire world, so there's that.

She thinks it's funny to whack my butt cheeks and make a crashing cymbal sound. Mama's Junk Orchestra, y'all.


Yes, I'm twelve.




12 comments:

Connie J Jasperson said...

I do want to let you know that you will survive this. Some daughters grow up and leave us LONG before they enter middle-school. Others with until college to stab us in the heart with their independence, lol! But a part of them always remains with us, and the things they used to love become important again!

Alison DeLuca said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Connie!

But will I survive my own immaturity?

Johanna Garth said...

Nope, you're ten! Ten is delightful and sweet. If you were twelve or eleven and a half you'd be following your daughter around trying to start word fist fights and using the excuse that "I can't control my emotions...it's the hormones we learned about in THE PERIOD MOVIE" erm....not that I would know from personal experience or anything.

Hart Johnson said...

Man, thank your stars she wants to wait until 14 for a boyfriend. My son, as a sixth grader (age 11) had a string of girlfriends, several of them, I suspect, unintentional... girls that age are OFTEN very aggressive. My baby (the older) graduated high school last night... I actually LOVE the young adult her... I am far more suited to a relationship with a more mature mind than for that silly tween stuff... Both my kids survived it, but I like this better.

Sarah Allen said...

Yeah, I have an 8 year old sister whose favorite show is Psych, and recently picked Somewhere in Time as our weekend movie. I know what you mean :)

Sarah Allen
(From Sarah, With Joy)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessica ( frellathon ) said...

lol if I had a time machine I'd go back to when I was 13 just to smack my stupid self. I did turn out awesome though. Well.... I'm sure yours will give you less grief than I gave my mother I hope :)

Alison DeLuca said...

Jess, you definitely turned out awesome!

Alison DeLuca said...

Good to know about "The Period Movie" (I remember that flick) - Those hormones have a lot of 'splainin to do...

Unknown said...

Sigh. I've got one too. The Barbies have been unceremoniously removed from her room, but now reside in our basement--spread hither and yon in piles and baskets. She still plays with them...occasionally, I have not the heart to make her pack them up and put them in the garage.
Say it ain't so, Alsion! Is this what we've been raising them for? so they can leave us!?
Hell, who am I kidding. Mine wants to be a ballet dancer. She'll be living in our basement till she's thirty. (Better hang on to the Barbies...)
Maybe the onset of menopause will cheer me up.

~Just Jill

Alison DeLuca said...

Jill, we're in this together! Maybe we can make a mommy date where we all get together and play Barbies?

Just checked - still twelve :)

Ice Charades said...

A little late here to comment ... we have limited tv and all but one channel in German, so my favorite tv show by far ... Die Pinguine aus Madagascar! Luckily my daughter will still watch it. But she also got hooked on Top Model.

I think I'm more excited to see the sequel to Despicable Me than she is. In a few years, I'll have to see the kids' movies by myself.