Thursday, January 3, 2013

New Classics

Over at The Indie Exchange, Terri Long et al are discussing New Classics.

Here is a list of classic reads that they have shared:


Ten Classic Reads

  • The Drowning People – Richard Mason
  • The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath
  • Norwegian Wood – Haruki Murakami
  • Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte
  • Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin – Lionel Shriver
  • All But My Life – Gerda Weissman Klein
  • I Am David – Ann Holm
  • 1984 – George Orwell
  • Widow for One Year – John Irving
I have read six of the above, and I look forward to reading The Drowning People, We Need to Talk About Kevin, All But My Life, and I am David to the TBR list. 

I'd replace Norwegian Wood with Kafka on the Beach myself, but of course these lists are very arbitrary. At the risk of repeating myself ad nauseum, I'd love to see the Indie book the Prospect of My Arrival and (sic) added as new classics. 

What books are on your modern classics lists?

3 comments:

Catherine Stine said...

I still want to read Dante's Inferno. Saw the film We Need to Talk About Kevin. One of the most truly scary films I've ever seen!

Molly Greene said...

I agree, Alison, JRRT changed my life when I read the Hobbit books. The movies are great, but I'm kind of sad today's kids don't get the whole "book" experience the way we did!

Deana Zhollis said...

I love those quotes you've posted. They do stir the heart and strengthen the mind. I guess most people are dreamers. Thanks for posting