Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Quick, Yummy, Healthy Food to Make

I got two requests from friends for some recipes. The First is an appetizer, and it is So Totally Healthy that Health will shine out of your fingertips when you make and eat it. 
Healthy Person!!!!!!

GRAPE AND AVOCADO SALSA

1 1/2 cups seedless red grapes, chopped
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced (I add it last so it won't brown or go mushy)
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped yellow bell pepper (I chop both peppers and freeze what I don't use for later)
2 tablespoons chopped sweet onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 clove chopped fresh garlic
ground black pepper
salt to taste
dash of Frank's Hot Sauce if you want

All of the above measurements really aren't necessary. I just quartered a lime and squeezed the hell out of that sucker over the chopped up junk. Mix it all up, refrigerate for 30 minutes, and serve with Baked Scoops chips, or regular Scoop chips if you want, but the regular ones will stop the Health Shining Out of Your Fingertips deal a bit.

And now for the entree:

I don't really use my crockpot a lot because many crock recipes taste the same - of creamed chicken soup. But this one had loads of fresh herbs, and it made the house smell yummy all day, and my husband gave it the thumbs up. Plus - easy! And cheap!

Plus cholesterol doesn't pop out of your chest like a Baby Alien* when you eat it! So, there's that.

BEEF STROGANOFF

1 lb top round steak
1 cup chopped onion
2 tbls chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp fresh dill (adjust for taste. Dill really packs a punch.)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (you can scale back on this if you want. 2 TBLS really does make it very Dijon-ish.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 8 oz package of sliced mushrooms
3 garlic cloves, minced

1/3 cup flour
1 cup beef broth (I like my own Stop n Shop's organic brand, but Rachael Ray's is good too.)
1 8 oz carton reduced-fat sour cream
2 cups cooked medium egg noodles

Cut steak into 1/4 inch slices. I made mine about an inch long.
Place steak, onion, and all ingredients through the garlic into an electric crock pot. Stir it all up.
Measure flour carefully and put in bowl. Gradually whisk in the beef broth, getting those lumps out of there.

Pour broth mix all over the stuff in the crock pot and turn on to High. Cook for one hour, stirring occasionally. 
Turn heat down to Low and cook for 7 - 8 more hours, until beef is tender. Turn off crock pot and remove lid; let sit for ten minutes.

Stir in entire container of sour cream. (If you didn't do the last step the cream can curdle.)

Serve over noodles.

*Did you notice how I didn't include an image of that? You're welcome.

4 comments:

LW said...

I'll definitely be trying the Stroganoff recipe - thanks! It sure is the season for something hearty and comforting to fight off the chill.

Johanna Garth said...

In a word....YUM!

ToshikoNgos said...

I really liked these healthy recipes..Will want to try it surely..

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.
Here is my page :: 3atnfs.net