Hey, remember those? I'm showing my age, but here is what a sick day meant when I was in elementary school:
1. Old TV, including I Dream of Jeanie, F Post, Family Affair, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and Gomer Pyle.
2. Sick food: Chicken Noodle soup, ginger ale, saltines, and jello.
3. Board games: Snakes and ladders, Candyland, and Sorry. Not Monopoly - that took too long.
4. A midday nap: not so fun back then, but now it's the zenith of perfection.
5. Privileged view of kids going off in the bus and knowing you didn't have to go. (Insert evil snicker)
6. Reading in bed, part one: The allowed reading, like Pippi Longstocking, Moomintrolls, Nancy Drew.
|I'll just sit here in this marsh and examine a clock. As you do.|
7. Reading in bed, part two: The forbidden reading: Archie comics, Vampirella, and the babysitter's Sidney Sheldon. Pure, unadulterated dreck.
|Wedgie alert, girlfriend. How about some nice yoga pants?|